Mool Bandh Pranayama
Bandh literally means bandhna, to hold downward energy. If your energy flows outside purposelessly then you can never be free from disease. This pranayam gives you a technique how to hold out flowing or downward energy (prana) inside. Actually this technique is taken from horse. If it is done properly and genuinely then one may easily get the power of horse.
Mool bandh is the contraction of certain muscles in the pelvic floor. In the female it contracts uterus and rectum or intestinal area. And in men it contracts anus and testes. Mool bandh is effective exercise for improving the dullness of organs (bladder and intestinal).
- Sit erect on the carpet in Siddhasana, pressing well the perineum with the left heel
- Look straight ahead.
- Take a deep breath
- Exhale slowly and as the abdomen contracts, close the anal aperture tightly, and then contract both the internal and the external sphincter muscles vigorously and continuously and draw them upwards
- Intensify the contraction and lifting of the anal sphincter muscles after completing the exhalation
- Try to get the maximum contraction but do not contract violently
- Hold the contraction from five to ten seconds without discomfort
- Inhale slowly and, while inhaling, relax the anal sphincter muscles slowly
Perform five turns of this Bandha in succession in the beginning, and increase by one turn every week up to a maximum of ten turns for gaining the maximum amount of physical benefit. Relax for about five seconds between the contractions
Avoid doing this during high blood pressure, heart disease, any major diseases. Should not be done in case of bleeding in the rectum
Moola Bandha benefits the prostate gland, the gonads, the perineal body and the pelvic muscles
The pelvic floor receives an increased blood supply
It gives relief in several disorders of the urogenital and systems
It prevents piles, fistula and prostatic hypertrophy. If ailments are already present, it reduces their severity prevents further complications
It prevents a prolapse of the rectum